"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong"
2 Corinthians 12:10

Friday, August 19, 2011

Does it really matter?

Way too often we hear this saying "Sh**t happens and then you die".  You might have even saw this on a bumper sticker on a car.  What do you think when you see or hear this saying?  Do you think "Yep, that's correct!" Then you think of all the things that have happened in your day to make it really suck.  I do it also.  Running around in our daily lives thinking about all the things we have on our "To Do" list and how little time we have to get it done.  Then we go home, go to bed, and it begins all over the next morning.  How sad and mundane is this way of living?

Just thinking about how I used to live day to day on a tight schedule wears me out.  I used to manage an office with 25 agents and 1 employee.  It was my responsibility to make sure everyone was taken care of and all things in the office were correct and maintained.  I LOVED my job.  You see, I have an A type personality and I love to keep things organized.  It didn't matter to me if I had to stay 1 or 2 hours past quitting time to make sure things were done.  I never gave much thought to what the family was doing at home while I was working late.  How they were waiting patiently for me to come home and cook dinner, make sure homework was done, clean the kitchen, and wash a couple of loads of laundry.  I was doing my job, making money for the family, working at my best for my company.  Guess what?  I was way off as to what is most important in my life.  I became ill with not 1 but 3 chronic illnesses and my body shut down on me.  I didn't listen to the little subtle hints of "Crystal, you have to slow down". "Crystal, God and family are more important". Maybe if I would have listened to those things I wouldn't be in the shape I am in now.  

Way too often we all live at such a fast pace that we can't hear the little voices warn us that things are going amiss.  I am not just talking about our health but about all things.  We have too little time on this earth to just buzz around like bees and not pay attention to all the beautiful things that God has created for us.  What I wouldn't give to go back in time and be able to smell my boy's hair when they were newborn, to count their 10 fingers and 10 toes or to watch them while they slept in my arms after I had fed them.  God blessed me with 2 healthy, beautiful babies and a wonderful husband and more often than not I have taken them for granted.  Don't we all?

God has given us so much joy in our lives.  Who cares about the 30 minutes of traffic that you have to sit in just to get to work?  Why do we get irritated at the driver that cuts us off on the freeway?  How much energy does it take from our emotions to silently bash a co-worker who didn't do things exactly like we wanted them to do?  Does it really matter?

Colossians 2:7 (NLT) 
"Let your roots grow down into him and draw up nourishment from him, so you will grow in faith, strong and vigorous in the truth you were taught.  Let your lives overflow with thanksgiving for all he has done."

Philippians 4:4-5 (NLT)
"Always be full of joy in the Lord.  I say it again - rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do.  Remember, the Lord is coming soon".

I praise God for all he has given us on this earth.  All things, even the trials.  Without hardships & trials in our lives we cannot grow in our faith.  How can we truly see God for all the wonderful things he is if we do not look to him during trying times?  Life is not always fair but I believe that everything that happens in our lives is for a purpose.  Embrace ALL things that God puts in your path.  He never gives us more than we can handle and he wants us to lean on him.

The next time you are feeling impatient in traffic, irritated at a co-worker, tired of telling your children to "pick up after themselves", stop and take a breath and remember, "God gave me all things and I am thankful for them".  Life is beautiful!!!  All too soon it will be over and we will be wishing for "just one more chance to get it right".  


No comments: