"That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong"
2 Corinthians 12:10

Thursday, July 12, 2012

On my knees

The church my family went to when I was young was on my mind today.  I was reading my morning Bible study and for some reason the memory of being in that church and everyone on their knees praying popped into my mind.  Every time the pastor, or anyone, prayed the whole congregation would bow to their knees.  That is the way I was taught to pray.  Our church would also wash each others feet when we would have our monthly communion. I know that might sound a bit strange but the church did the things Jesus and his disciples did on the night of the last supper.  

As I have gotten older I have stopped praying on my knees.  We pray sitting, standing and with our heads bowed.  Is that how you pray?  At night I just pray silently in my head while laying on my pillow and trying not to fall asleep. I am ashamed to say that I have gotten very lax in my prayer life, before my illness.  Now, I am compelled to pray on my knees and sometimes flat on my face.  I feel the need to bow low and be humble when I talk with my Lord Jesus Christ. I also pray "out loud" instead of silently to myself. What I have found is this, when we humble ourselves this way our hearts and minds are open wide and The Holy Spirit will fill all of your "soul holes".  This is the way I pray now.  Try is sometime, you will feel so much closer to God.  I like this saying: "The only way up is down"


 

No comments: